Gemstar founder loses no-jail deal

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESanta Anita opens winter meet Saturday with loaded card The SEC filed fraud charges against Yuen and ex-financial chief Elsie Leung two years ago, claiming they overstated company revenue by $248 million between March 2000 and September 2002 to boost the company’s stock. Prosecutors say Yuen, subpoenaed to testify before the SEC in March 2003, installed a program called Eraser 2003 on his Gemstar computer that made it difficult to recover or trace deleted files. Soon after, he had the hard drive of his Gemstar computer removed from his office. Current officials of Gemstar-TV Guide International, which Yuen founded, had urged the judge to reject the plea bargain and impose a harsher penalty. Yuen and Leung were forced out in October 2002 by News Corp., which has a 42 percent stake in Gemstar, after questions over accounting irregularities caused the stock to plunge. Yuen’s attorney said he was disappointed the judge gave such weight to the company’s position. “Because of a bitter fight between Henry Yuen and News Corp. and Gemstar, their viciousness and access to the press have really led this whole process to be out of kilter,” said Yuen’s attorney Stanley S. Arkin. Company officials issued a written statement praising the judge’s decision and calling for prosecutors to pursue the case against Yuen and press for a tougher sentence. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! A federal judge Monday rejected a plea agreement that would have allowed former Gemstar-TV Guide chief executive Henry Yuen to escape jail time in exchange for pleading guilty to destroying evidence in a Securities and Exchange Commission probe. U.S. District Court Judge John Walter said the agreed-upon sentence of six months of home detention, a $250,000 fine and a $1 million charitable donation “failed to reflect the seriousness of the offense.” Walter said last month he was inclined to reject the plea deal because it was too lenient and “sends the wrong message to corporate America.” Yuen withdrew his guilty plea Monday, which allows him to enter new negotiations with prosecutors. last_img read more

Senators Introduce Bipartisan Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Bill

first_imgBipartisan senators have introduced a bill specifically tailored to reduce excise taxes and regulations for the U.S. craft beverage industry. The bill aims to promote job creation and permanently reduce certain taxes and compliance burdens.Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax ReformThe Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Bill of 2019 was introduced on February 6 by Senate Finance Committee (SFC) ranking member Ron Wyden, D-Ore., and Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo.“By modernizing burdensome rules and taxes for craft beverage producers, this legislation will level the playing field and allow these innovators to further grow and thrive,” Wyden said in a February 6 press release. Moreover, the comprehensive measure is supported by the entire craft beverage industry, according to a summary of the bill.Generally, the Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Bill of 2019 would implement the following provisions:Brewers: Reduce excise taxes for brewers to provide more cash flow to reinvest in personal business growth; Simplify rules for ingredient approval and brewery collaboration;Vintners: Expand the wine producer tax credit; Expand allowances for tax purposes on carbonation and alcohol content for certain wines;Distillers: Establish reduced excise taxes for small craft distilleries; and Reduce restrictions on tax-free transfers of spirits between distillers.Additionally, the bill would exempt beverage producers from certain capitalization rules for aged products.“The craft beverage industry is driven by small businesses that support thousands of jobs and contribute billions in economic output,” Blunt said in the February 6 press release. Currently, the bill has 10 bipartisan cosponsors.By Jessica Jeane, Senior News EditorLogin to read more on CCHAnswerConnect.Not a subscriber? Sign up for a free trial or contact us for a representative.last_img read more

10 months agoDONE DEAL: Younes Kaboul leaves Watford

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say DONE DEAL: Younes Kaboul leaves Watfordby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveYounes Kaboul has left Watford.Watford have cancelled the contract of defender Kaboul by mutual consent.The 32-year-old, signed from Sunderland in the summer of 2016, scored twice across 26 appearances during a injury-ravaged stint at Vicarage Road.He had not featured for the Hornets since September 2017 and was left out of their 25-man Premier League squad this term.“Everyone at Watford wishes Younes well for the future and thanks him for his contributions while at Vicarage Road,” read a statement on Watford’s website. last_img

7 days agoEmery says Arsenal improving ‘little-by-little’

US businesses cast wider net as jobless rate hits 39 pct

first_imgWASHINGTON – With the U.S. unemployment rate near a five-decade low, companies are looking harder for employees, and in some cases finding them right at their own workplaces.Businesses are adding more hours for part-timers and converting contractors to full-time workers. Americans with fewer skills are also benefiting from hiring managers’ desperation: The unemployment rate for those without a high-school degree fell to a record low in July.Employers added 157,000 jobs last month, a modest gain, the Labor Department said Friday. That’s below the 215,000 average for the first seven months this year, but economists said the slip will likely prove temporary.The unemployment rate ticked down to 3.9 per cent from 4 per cent. That’s just two-tenths of a percentage point from the lowest in 50 years.Consumers are spending freely and businesses are stepping up their investment in buildings and equipment, accelerating economic growth. That’s raising demand for workers in industries ranging from manufacturing to construction to health care. The economy expanded at a 4.1 per cent annual rate in the April-June quarter, the strongest showing in nearly four years.This year’s pickup comes after a steady economic recovery that has entered its tenth year and is now the second-longest on record. That means the benefits of the recovery are starting to reach lower-skilled, lower-income workers.The smaller job gain likely reflected some one-time factors, analysts said. Local governments cut 20,000 jobs, the most in more than two years. Most were in education, suggesting some of the decline reflects the start of summer school holidays.And sporting goods, hobby and toy stores shed 32,000 jobs, by far the most on records dating back to 1990. That is the result of the Toys R Us bankruptcy, economists said.“This job growth is nothing to be disappointed about, particularly at this stage of the recovery,” said Martha Gimbel, director of economic research at job search website Indeed.Other data in the report pointed to broader-based improvements in the job market.After remaining elevated for years after the Great Recession, the number of part-time workers who would prefer full-time work has fallen nearly 13 per cent in the past year and now stands at 4.6 million. That is the fewest in 11 years and means part-time workers are getting more hours.Short workweeks have been a source of frustration for many lower-income workers in service industries such as retail, fast food restaurants, and hotels. More hours has helped lift average weekly earnings for retail workers in the past year more quickly than for workers overall.And the underemployment rate — which includes discouraged workers no longer searching for work, as well as involuntary part-time workers — dropped to 7.5 per cent, the lowest in 17 years, from 7.8 per cent.Despite the attention given to the “retail apocalypse,” retailers have actually added 96,000 jobs in the past 12 months. A year ago retail employment was falling.Businesses are also getting less picky in their hiring. Some are relaxing their requirements for college degrees or extensive experience.“It is increasingly apparent that all that hand-wringing about ‘qualified candidates’ is code for ‘wish list candidates,’” said Josh Wright, chief economist at recruiting software company iCims. “We are only now discovering what employers truly consider to be employable candidates.”Hary Bottka, senior vice-president at Randstad Sourceright, which manages hiring for clients in the manufacturing, financial services and health care industries, says companies are increasingly thinking about converting contract workers, over time, to permanent employees.Many of his client firms are realizing that there is “excellent talent” among contractors, he said.Average hourly pay gains remained modest in July, increasing 2.7 per cent from a year earlier, the same as the previous two months. That has puzzled Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell and many economists. Typically, when unemployment has fallen below 4 per cent in the past, wages have increased at a faster pace.With rising gas prices pushing up inflation, Americans actually saw their inflation-adjusted pay decrease in the past year. Consumer prices rose 2.9 per cent in June from a year earlier, more than the average wage gain.One cloud on the horizon has been the Trump administration’s trade fights with China, the European Union, Canada and Mexico. The White House has slapped tariffs on steel and aluminum and on $34 billion of imports from China, and several companies have hit U.S. imports with retaliatory duties.Yet the trade fights didn’t appear to impact hiring last month. Manufacturers, among the most directly affected by the import taxes, added 37,000 jobs, the most in seven months.Some companies are offering higher pay to find and keep workers, particularly for specific skills.Brian England, the owner of BA Auto, a car repair shop in Columbia, Maryland, would like to add another technician and an apprentice to his 18-member staff. Yet auto repair work requires more technical skills than the past because of the increasing concentration of computers and electronics in newer cars.He has raised starting pay roughly 10 per cent in the past two years, from $60,000 to between $65,000 and $70,000.“The more you make an employee healthy and happy, the more that they’re going to stay with you,” England said.___Contact Christopher Rugaber on Twitter at http://Twitter.com/ChrisRugaberlast_img read more

Blizzard warning issued for the Pine Pass

first_imgTumbler Ridge could see the most snow at 50 cm, with Dawson Creek and the rest of the South Peace receiving anywhere from 30 to 40 cm.  In the North Peace, Fort St. John could receive 10 to 15 and Hudson’s Hope could receive 20 cm.Travel through the Pine Pass is not recommended at this time.  For current road conditions, visit www.drivebc.caSee the full weather warning.Blizzard warning changed from winter storm warning for:Highway 97 – Pine Pass, B.C. (080030)Current details: Blizzard conditions with gusty winds and visibility frequently near zero in snow and blowing snow are expected or occurring.A slow moving frontal system is producing heavy snow through Pine Pass tonight. An Arctic high pushing through the pass will generate winds of 40 km/h gusting to 60. The snow and wind will combine to produce whiteout conditions tonight and Friday.  CHETWYND, B.C. – Environment Canada has issued a blizzard warning for the Pine Pass.The warning says the area is experiencing strong winds and heavy snow causing blizzard conditions.The winter storm warning remains in place for the rest of the South Peace. The storm that has moved into the area could bring 20 to 50 cm of snow. The winds will begin to ease Friday evening and visibility will improve but occasional blowing snow may still occur until late Friday night or early Saturday morning.Travel is expected to be extremely hazardous due to reduced visibility.Weather in the mountains can change suddenly resulting in hazardous driving conditions.Consider postponing non-essential travel until conditions improve. If you become stranded in a vehicle do not leave. The vehicle offers a form of protection from the cold. A single person walking through the snow is harder to find than a stranded car or truck. ShiftIntoWinter.ca reminds drivers to know before you go. Adjust to winter driving behaviour and use winter tires and chains.center_img Road conditions are available at www.drivebc.ca.last_img read more

EC clean chit to PM in two more speeches

first_imgNew Delhi: The Election Commission concluded on Friday that Prime Minister Narendra Modi did not violate the model code or its advisory on armed forces in his speech in Varanasi.It also found nothing wrong in his comments made in Nanded, Maharashtra where he reportedly dubbed the Congress as a ‘sinking Titanic’. With this, the EC has decided on five complaints against Modi and gave him a clean chit in all matters. “In a matter related to a complaint concerning alleged violations of advisories of the Commission and Model Code of Conduct, in a speech delivered by Narendra Modi at Nanded, Maharashtra on April 6, a detailed report of the Chief Electoral Officer, Maharashtra was obtained. The matter has been examined in detail … (the) Commission is of the considered view that in this matter no such violation of the extant advisories/provisions is attracted,” the EC said. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra SinghIn his Nanded speech, Modi had reportedly said that the Congress today is like Titanic ship which is sinking. All those who are in the ship like the Nationalist Congress Party are either sinking or jumping off to escape, he had reportedly said. Targeting Rahul Gandhi, he had said that the Congress chief has traced a seat using microscope from which he can take on the BJP. Modi was apparently referring to the Wayanad seat in Kerala from where Rahul is contesting, besides Amethi in Uttar Pradesh. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroadHe had reportedly said that in Wayanad, the country’s majority is in minority. Referring to Modi’s Varanasi speech on April 25, where he had gone to file his nomination for Lok Sabha elections, the EC said a detailed report of the Chief Electoral Officer, Uttar Pradesh was obtained. “The matter has been examined in detail in accordance with the extant advisories, provisions of the Model Code of Conduct and after examination of complete transcript, Commission is of the considered view that in this matter no such violation of the extant advisories/provisions is attracted,” it said. The Congress had also referred to an interview given by the PM to Aaj Tak and said it found nothing wrong. Addressing a rally in Varanasi, Modi had stressed on national security, saying a new India gives a befitting reply to terrorism. At the meeting after a massive show of strength in his Lok Sabha constituency, Modi said his government had dealt effectively against terrorism. In an apparent reference to the Balakot air strike after Pakistan-based militants killed 40 paramilitary men in Pulwama, he said the world now backed India in its fight against terror. Modi also referred to the recent bomb blasts in Sri Lanka, saying innocent people observing Easter lost their lives.last_img read more

I saw Rahuls birth at Delhis Holy Family Hospital Exnurse

first_imgKochi (Kerala): Rajamma Vavathil, a retired nurse and a voter in Wayanad, believes no one should contest Congress chief Rahul Gandhi’s citizenship status. After all, she says, she was one of those on duty at Delhi’s Holy Family Hospital on June 19, 1970 when he was born.The 72-year-old, who was still in training to be a nurse at the time, said she was among the first to take the infant Rahul in her hands. I was lucky as I was first among the few who took the newborn baby in my hands. He was so cute. I was witness to his birth. I was thrilled… we all were thrilled to see the grandson of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi, Vavathil said over phone from Wayanad. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss account details under automatic exchange frameworkForty-nine years later, the “cute baby” is Congress president and a contestant from Wayanad. And Vavathil, who now describes herself as “nearly a housewife”, said she couldn’t be happier. She remembers the day well. Rahul Gandhi’s father Rajiv Gandhi and uncle Sanjay Gandhi were waiting outside the labour room of the hospital when Sonia Gandhi was taken for delivery, Vavathil recounted. It’s a story she has often told her family. She is saddened by BJP leader Subramanian Swamy’s complaint questioning the Congress president’s citizenship status, on which the Home Ministry has sent him a notice. According to Vavathil, no one can question Rahul Gandhi’s identity as an Indian citizen and Swamy’s complaint about his citizenship is baseless. All records about Rahul Gandhi’s birth would be there at the hospital, she said.last_img read more

DaRick Rogers Suspended By The Tennessee Volunteers

Da’Rick Rogers – The Tennessee Volunteers have suspended wide receiver Da’Rick Rogers indefinitely for violation of team rules. He is not expected to rejoin the team this season, said UT coach Derek Dooley said following Thursday’s practice.The penalty was the result of “multiple” violations of the school’s substance abuse policy, according to an ESPN.com report.Rogers did not appear anywhere on the two-deep depth chart Tennessee released Thursday as it gears up for the upcoming Aug. 31 season opener in Atlanta against N.C. State.The All-SEC receiver paced the conference last fall with 67 receptions and finished second with his 1,040 yards. He totaled nine touchdown receptions.The Calhoun, Ga., native was a five-star recruit who has been able to contribute to the team despite off-field problems. Rodgers was arrested in 2010 after a bar brawl in Knoxville and received a two-week ban from offseason activities earlier this spring.After receiving the two-week ban, rumors began to swirl regarding Rodger’s potentially transfer to another university. He eventually returned to the team and enjoyed a solid camp, according to coaches.Earlier this month, Rogers spoke to reporters about how comfortable everyone was within the confines of the offense. “It’s so much more fun because you don’t have to think as much,” he said. “You can just come out and run the plays and really work on getting open and trying to make plays rather than worrying about where you have to be. Everybody is moving fast.”While the addition of 6-foot-3, 205-pound junior college All-American Cordarrelle Patterson and the return of standout Justin Hunter gives the Vols enough firepower to replace Rogers, his dismissal robs them of an opportunity of seeing all three receivers produce on the field together.The Volunteers finished last year 8-5, but entered 2012 as a sleeper pick in the SEC after winning six of their last eight games. read more

Ohio State selected No 3 in College Football Playoff play Clemson