North Korea turns up the chill

first_imgJapan’s U.N. ambassador, Kenzo Oshima, the current council president, said earlier that all council members “emphasized that the response of the council should be strong, swift and very, very clear in its message and its action.” But just how long it will take members to agree on a resolution remains to be seen. Council experts started discussing the proposals in meetings Monday afternoon and were expected to meet again this morning. But it was unclear whether China and Russia – the North’s closest allies – would support some of the tough measures, which also include international inspection of all cargo to and from North Korea to limit the proliferation of nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and to ban any material that could be used in the production of weapons of mass destruction. Before the experts’ meeting, the ambassadors from the five veto-wielding council nations – the U.S., Britain, France, Russia and China – met with Oshima. U.S. Ambassador John Bolton told reporters afterward that everybody agreed within 30 minutes that the council should condemn the action and respond quickly, saying “that’s remarkable” to have such a unanimous decision. But he wouldn’t speculate when the council might act, noting that Japan and others already had other suggestions for the text. “The fact is that in our half-hour, full council meeting this morning, there was no one who even came close to defending this test by North Korea,” Bolton said. The United States, France, Britain and Japan want the resolution under Chapter 7 of the U.N. Charter, which deals with threats to international peace, breaches of the peace and acts of aggression. It allows the council to authorize measures ranging from breaking diplomatic ties and imposing economic and military sanctions to taking military action to restore peace. With U.S. forces strapped by the twin wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the Bush administration repeatedly has said it has no plans to invade North Korea and discussion of military action was absent Monday. Neither Russia nor China would say whether they support a resolution that could pave the way for sanctions. “I think we have to react firmly,” China’s U.N. ambassador, Wang Guangya, said. “But also I believe that on the other hand the door to solve this issue from a diplomatic point of view is still open.” Russia’s U.N. ambassador, Vitaly Churkin, said the North Koreans “will be facing a very serious attitude on the part of the Security Council and the entire international community,” but he said the council needs to discuss whether that will include sanctions. The reported test came one day after the ninth anniversary of reclusive North Korean leader Kim Jong Il’s accession to power and a day before the 61st anniversary of the ruling North Korean Workers’ Party. AP Television News footage showed North Koreans going about their daily business and there were no signs of heightened alert by security forces in Pyongyang, hours after their government said it performed a nuclear weapons test. The test also coincided with the Security Council vote Monday to nominate South Korean Foreign Minister Ban Ki-moon to succeed Kofi Annan as the next U.N. secretary-general. The 192-nation General Assembly is expected to approve the recommendation later this month. Ban said one of his priorities, if approved, would be to work to resolve the North Korean crisis. North Korea remained defiant. Pak Gil Yon, the North’s U.N. ambassador, said the Security Council should congratulate the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea, known as the DPRK, instead of passing “useless” resolutions or statements. TIGHTENING THE NOOSE The U.N. Security Council is considering a broad range of new sanctions to punish North Korea for its nuclear test. Here is a look at details of the proposals, as well as current sanctions against the North. THE UNITED STATES: The U.S. has a raft of sanctions against North Korea over its roles as a sponsor of terrorism and weapons proliferator. Those sanctions include a ban on export of military items, restrictions on financial transactions and some limits on foreign aid and debt relief. Former U.S. President Clinton lifted even broader diplomatic, travel and trade restrictions in 1999. OTHER NATIONS: Bilateral sanctions from others vary. In 2002, the U.S., Japan and South Korea halted oil supplies to the North promised in a 1994 deal. In September, Japan s Cabinet approved a new set of financial sanctions against North Korea, and Australia imposed similar restrictions. The sanctions ban fund transfers and overseas remittances by groups and individuals suspected of links to North Korean weapons programs. THE UNITED NATIONS: The Security Council has barred nations from trading in material or technology for missiles or weapons of mass destruction with North Korea. A resolution imposing those restrictions was passed July 16, after the North conducted a series of missile tests. POSSIBLE SANCTIONS: After North Korea s nuclear test, U.S. Ambassador to the U.N. John Bolton circulated a range of proposals that would include some of the most punishing restrictions in years. They include: – Prohibiting trade in materials that could be used to make or deliver weapons of mass destruction. – Requiring states to ensure that North Korea not use their territory or entities for proliferation or illicit activities. Financial transactions that North Korea could use to support those programs would also be banned. – States would have to freeze all assets related to North Korea s weapons and missile programs, as well as any other illicit activities it conducts. – Authorize inspection of all cargo to and from North Korea to limit proliferation. – Ban trade with North Korea in luxury goods and military items.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESurfer attacked by shark near Channel Islands calls rescue a ‘Christmas miracle’The 15-nation council urged Pyongyang to return to stalled talks, refrain from further tests and keep its pledge to scrap its clandestine weapons program. Bush said the North Korean action “constitutes a threat to international peace and security” and requires “an immediate response” from the Security Council, though he stressed that the U.S. remained committed to diplomacy. The United States circulated a draft U.N. resolution late Monday that would condemn North Korea’s nuclear test and impose tough sanctions on the reclusive communist nation for Pyongyang’s “flagrant disregard” of the Security Council’s appeal not to detonate a device. The draft, obtained by The Associated Press, incorporates proposals circulated by the U.S. earlier in the day to prohibit all trade in military and luxury goods and prevent “any abuses of the international financial system” that could contribute to the transfer or development of banned weapons. It adds new calls from Japan to ban all countries from allowing any North Korean ships in their ports or any North Korean aircraft from taking off or landing in their territory and to impose travel restrictions on high-ranking North Korean officials. The Japanese proposals would also create a Security Council committee to monitor implementation of the sanctions, and ask the secretary-general “to actively engage in this matter.” UNITED NATIONS – The world lined up against North Korea on Monday for staging a nuclear test denounced even by key allies. President George W. Bush called it “a threat to international peace and security,” and the U.N. Security Council weighed severe sanctions to punish the impoverished communist nation. There was no talk of military action. But the Security Council quickly condemned North Korea’s decision to flout a U.N. appeal to cancel the test after the reclusive regime announced it had set off an underground atomic explosion. Russia was the only country to say it had “no doubts” over the North Korean claim. The U.S. and other experts said the explosion was smaller than expected and they had yet to confirm it was nuclear. But the reaction of world governments reflected little doubt that they were treating the announcement as fact. last_img read more

BaltNav to Operate Part of Pioneer Marines Fleet

first_imgzoom Singapore-based dry bulk shipping company Pioneer Marine entered into a cooperation with Danish charter operator BaltNav A/S on October 3.As informed, part of Pioneer Marine’s bulk carrier fleet will be commercially operated by BaltNav which already operates a fleet of about 15 Handysize vessels.“We look very much forward to this cooperation which will place Pioneer’s fleet in alternative markets,” Dimitris Papoulis, S.V. President and General Manager of Pioneer Marine, commented.Pioneer Marine currently owns fourteen Handysize, one Handymax and one Supramax drybulk carriers. The combined deadweight tonnage of the fleet is 0.56 million tons.last_img

Tom Brokaw To Be Presented With Spirit Of Hope Award

first_imgThe Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (MMRF) is proud to announce that it will honor Tom Brokaw, Special Correspondent for NBC News who is living with multiple myeloma, with its Spirit of Hope Award at the MMRF Annual Fall Gala on November 8, 2014 in Old Greenwich, Connecticut.Funds raised through this premier event will benefit the innovative cancer research models of the MMRF, which are aimed at accelerating the development of new treatments to extend the lives of patients and to lead to a cure of multiple myeloma, the second most prevalent blood cancer.The MMRF Spirit of Hope Award is the highest honor presented by the foundation and is given in recognition of the extraordinary contributions by the honoree to inspiring hope through their life and work. Throughout his prolific career, Brokaw has brought awareness and reform to numerous causes such as AIDS, global warming, education reform, human rights issues and medical research to benefit the lives of countless people around the world.“It is a privilege to be honored by the MMRF, a groundbreaking cancer research foundation that is directly benefitting the lives of so many patients,” said Brokaw. “The MMRF is defining a new era in cancer research and will not stop until cures are found.”An extraordinary evening is planned for the MMRF Annual Fall Gala with Brian Williams, Anchor and Managing Editor of NBC Nightly News and a member of the MMRF Honorary Board of Directors, serving as Master of Ceremonies. Williams was honored at the MMRF Annual Fall Gala in 2005 with the MMRF Leadership Award in recognition of his commitment to the foundation.“No organization is doing more to shape the future of cancer research,” said Williams. “I am grateful to serve as the Master of Ceremonies for this year’s event in celebration of my good friend and colleague Tom Brokaw.”The evening will culminate with a special performance by world-renowned trumpeter, bandleader and composer, Wynton Marsalis. The first jazz musician ever awarded the Pulitzer Prize in Music, Marsalis has created a vital body of work that places him among the finest musicians and composers in the world. A New Orleans native, he is co-founder and Managing and Artistic Director of Jazz at Lincoln Center in New York City. His lifetime commitment to inspiring and uplifting people through artistic excellence has had an unparalleled impact around the world.In addition to honoring Brokaw, the MMRF is proud to be presenting William N. Hait, M.D., Ph.D., Global Head of Janssen Research & Development, LLC, with the MMRF Corporate Leadership Award. The MMRF is presenting this award in recognition of Janssen’s commitment to multiple myeloma patients and their strong partnership with the MMRF.“We are thrilled to honor Tom Brokaw and Janssen and we look forward to an inspirational evening with Brian Williams as our host and Wynton Marsalis as our musical headliner,” said Walter M. Capone, CEO and President of the MMRF. “Most importantly, this evening will provide an opportunity to support MMRF efforts to advance cutting-edge cancer research with the speed and innovation that are enabling the unprecedented success of the MMRF and our partners.”For more information about the MMRF Annual Fall Gala, please visit: www.themmrf.org/gala. To reserve a table, donate an auction item or inquire about sponsorship opportunities, please email [email protected] or call 888-584-5463.Source:BusinessWire.comlast_img read more

Philpott resigns from cabinet amid ongoing SNC controversy

first_imgAPTN NewsMinister and Treasury Board President Jane Philpott has resigned from cabinet amid a growing scandal involving allegations from Canada’s former justice minister and attorney general of efforts by the Prime Minister’s Office, and other senior public officials to interfere in the justice system.Philpott, who was also appointed minister of the Treasury Board in a January cabinet shuffle that saw her moved out of Indigenous services, said in her resignation letter to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Monday afternoon that her decision directly related to former Justice Minister and Attorney General Jody Wilson-Raybould’s Feb. 28 testimony before the House of Commons’ Justice Committee.The Markham-Stouffville MP said she has been “considering the events that have shaken the federal government in recent weeks and after serious reflection, I have concluded that I must resign as a member of Cabinet,” Philpott wrote Monday.“In Canada, the constitutional convention of Cabinet solidarity means, among other things, that ministers are expected to defend all Cabinet decisions. A minister must always be prepared to defend other ministers publicly, and must speak in support of the government and its policies. Given this convention and the current circumstances, it is untenable for me to continue to serve as a Cabinet minister.”Read: Statement from the Hon. Jane PhilpottLast week, Wilson-Raybould testified that between September and December 2018 she “experienced a consistent and sustained effort by many people within the government to seek to politically interfere in the exercise of prosecutorial discretion in my role as the Attorney General of Canada in an inappropriate effort to secure a Deferred Prosecution Agreement with SNC-Lavalin.”The allegations have shaken the Trudeau government, prompting calls for an RCMP investigation, and for Trudeau and Privy Council Office Clerk Michael Wernick’s resignations.“The solemn principles at stake are the independence and integrity of our justice system,” Philpott says in her letter to the prime minister.“It is a fundamental doctrine of the rule of law that our Attorney General should not be subjected to political pressure or interference regarding the exercise of her prosecutorial discretion in criminal cases. Sadly, I have lost confidence in how the government has dealt with this matter and in how it has responded to the issues raised.“It grieves me to leave a portfolio where I was at work to deliver on an important mandate,” Philpott, who is widely regarded as one of the Liberals’ most liked and successful cabinet ministers, continues in her letter. “But I must abide by my core values, my ethical responsibilities and constitutional obligations. There can be a cost to acting on one’s principles, but there is a bigger cost to abandoning them.”At an event in Ottawa Monday morning Philpott refused to answer questions about Wilson-Raybould and the former minister’s allegations.Journalists asked @janephilpott about Jody Wilson-Raybould Monday in Ottawa after the minister spoke at an Artificial Intelligence conference. She said today was about AI and that she will speak to press about @Puglaas at a future date. @JustinBrakeNews #cdnpoli pic.twitter.com/ppfI9U9y58— APTN National News (@APTNNews) March 4, 2019Her attempt to deflect reporters’ questions followed a similar effort on Friday by several cabinet ministers who refused to answer questions about the scandal following an announcement on child welfare legislation in Ottawa.Philpott said she intends to continue serving her constituents as a Liberal MP.“I am firmly committed to our crucial platform priorities, especially: justice for Indigenous peoples; and implementing a plan to tackle the existential threat of climate change,” she says in her resignation letter.“Canadians need the assurance that, in all matters, Members of Parliament will act in the best interests of the public. My decision has been made with that spirit and intent.”Read: Jody Wilson-RaybouldWilson-Raybould also said that she intends to continue to serve her constituents as a Liberal MP after resigning from [email protected]@aptnnewslast_img read more

Brian Shaw Targeted By Brooklyn Nets For Coach

HMBS is back and ready to Serve

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppBahamas, May 3rd 2017: The HMBS, Bahamas-P60 is back home following a major refit. The vessel is said to have undergone extensive maintenance and repairs in Holland, with assistance coming from the Dutch Damen group over the past eight months.Her Majesty’s Bahamian Ship NASSAU docked at the Defence Force Base for the first time under the command of Commander Gregory Brown. The 60-meter (200 foot) Bahama Class vessel arrived in the capital after sailing for 18 days from the Dutch province of South Holland.The trip is said to have tested the HMBS Nassau’s ship’s company ability to weather rough seas during its 18 day transatlantic voyage from the Dutch Province of South Holland to Bahamas. HowCrew on board HMBSever, a port call at Funchal, Madeira–a Portuguese Island off the east coast of Portugal was made for replenishment of supplies. The vessel was able to dock at the Coral Harbour Base following a multi-million dollar Sandy Bottom Project. An agreement signed in 2014 between government of The Bahamas and VAN Oord is said to have facilitated the dredging of the harbor, as well as creation of jetties, docks and breakwaters. The funds were responsible for the acquisition of nine patrol craft and the refitting of two Bahama class vessels.Captain Tellis Bethel, Acting Commander Defence Force, in welcoming the vessel, the refitted HMBS Nassau will enhance the overall operations of the Defence Force. Related Items:last_img read more

Martin Keown blasts Arsenals transfer policy